Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Camp Chronicles, Volume 2

Working camp, round two.

Polar opposite of week one. I had so much fun. I got to see old friends, meet new ones (yes!), and I went from having basically no interaction with the kids to spending 24/7 with them. They assigned me to be a co-counselor for the week, so I had sixteen 9- to 11-year-olds to hang out with, along with another counselor who just happens to be the same age as me (and is transferring to my college next fall. Sweet).

Let me just say that this week made me immensely grateful that I am out of that pre-teen stage of life. Ugh. It's like this weird stage in between child and teenager, so you basically end up with little kids with hormones. How fun. Between the bouts of homesickness ("It's...it's just that...I miss my shower." "You what?") and trying to get everyone showered and ready in time for dinner (this happened a grand total of one time. Apparently, punctuality is not a priority for 10-year-olds), it was definitely an adventure. Also, note to self: Don't tell your campers how old you are. On the first day, they were all asking, and so when the other counselor and I said, "Nineteen," they were all like, "Oh, I'm glad we got, like, teenagers! That means we can do whatever we want!" Um, negative there, little friends. This sadly meant that I had to be mean a couple of times, and I just don't like that. :(

Anyway, I am now home for the weekend and am heading back on Monday. Once again, I have no idea what I'll be doing, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what adventures await me...

No comments:

Post a Comment